[dropcap]NOTE[/dropcap] THIS POST IS ABOUT THE FARE HIKE EFFECTED IN JANUARY 2013. FOR DETAILS ON THE TRAIN FARE HIKE EFFECTIVE JUNE 2014, CLICK HERE.
Indian Railways had hiked the fare and ticket costs across the board for all services which came into effect from midnight Jan 22 2013. Tickets which were booked previously (before Jan 21) will also come under the fare hike. This means you will have to pay the difference between the fare that you paid while booking and the new fare. This difference amount can be paid either at UTS/booking counters or to the TTE on the train when he/she comes to check your ticket. It is advisable to carry change. You can find the new fares as applicable from Jan 22 for your or any journey/train/station/date on the Indian Railways’ Enquiry website. You can find the fares also on India Rail Info and eRail.
Here are the details of the new fares/charges and other changes that come into effect after the hike, from Jan 22 2103:
- On an average, you would be paying around 10% more on your tickets depending on the class.
- Fares increased by from 2 paise to 22 paise per kilometer, depending on class of travel.
- Fares per kilometer type is at best indicative as fares are calculated telescopically.
- Peak and off peak seasonal fare rates will be different
- Konkan Railway will charge 40% extra on fares
- Superfast charges, reservation charges, internet reservation charges, catering charges etc will remain unchanged
- Concessions, child fare etc will be applicable only on base fare and extra charges will be collected in full
- Superfast charges on General Second Class on Express/Mail trains will be Rs.10 instead of Rs.20
- Final amount will be rounded off to the nearest higher multiple of Rs.5 in case of all classes other than local/suburban.
- Here is the circular from Ministry of Railways
- Service tax of 3.708% on total fare will be levied on all AC and first class tickets on Indian Railways trains.
- The class with highest fare hikes is Sleeper Class with upto 18% increase in fare.
New Fare Rules and Ticket Charges that have come into Effect after the Railway Fare Hike
SUBURBAN LOCAL Second Class
- Minimum Charge: Rs.5, Distance travelable: 10 km
- Effectively you can travel 20 km for Rs.5 (minimum charge) thanks to rounding off rules
- Maximum chargeable fare and distance: Rs.30 (150 km)
- New Local fare from Bandra to Virar:
ORDINARY/PASSENGER Second Class
- Minimum Charge: Rs.5
- Effective distance you can travel paying minimum charge: 30 km
- Charge for traveling 50 km: Rs.20; for 100 km Rs.30
- New Ordinary Passenger Fare from Bangalore to Mysore: TBA (old: Rs.21)
(Old charges before hike in brackets)
General Second Class:
- Minimum Charges: Rs.27 (Rs.30 after rounding off)
- Distance you can travel on minimum charge: upto 65 km
- New General Second Class Express fare from Ernakulam to Thiruvananthapuram: Rs.68 (old Rs.58) Rs.10 or 15% increase
- New General Second Class Express fare from Dhanbad to Kolkata Howrah: Rs.105 (old Rs.90) Rs.15 or 14% increase
- Minimum Charge: Rs.112 before adding Reservation Charge, Superfast Charge etc
- Distance you can travel on minimum charge: upto 200 km
- These rates are applicable also if you buy Sleeper tickets over the UTS counters.
- Revised Sleeper Class fare from Bangalore to Goa: Rs.310 (old Rs.267) 14% increase
- New Sleeper Class fare from Hyderabad to Ernakulam: Rs.475 (old Rs.390) 18% increase
- New Sleeper Class fare from Mangalore to Mumbai: Rs.440 (old Rs.359) 18% increase
AC Fares for all general Indian Railways Express/Mail Trains Including Superfasts
NOTE: THIS POST IS ABOUT THE FARE HIKE EFFECTED IN JANUARY 2013. FOR DETAILS ABOUT THE FARE HIKE IN JUNE 2014, CLICK HERE.
AC Chair Car
- Minimum Charge: Rs.192 exclusive of Reservation Charge, Superfast Charge, tax etc
- Distance you can travel on the minimum charge: upto 150 km
- Not applicable for Shatabdi/Garibrath/Yuva Chair Cars
- New Express AC Chair Car Fare from Mumbai to Ahmedabad: Rs.540 (old Rs.488) Rs.52 or 9.6% increase
- New AC Chair Car fare from Madurai to Chennai: Rs.540 (old Rs.488) Rs.52 or 9.6% increase
AC 3 Tier, AC 2 Tier, AC First Class
- Distance you can travel on minimum fare: upto 300 km
- Minimum Fares: AC 3 Tier: Rs.402; AC 2 Tier: Rs.577, AC First Class Rs. 985
- Not Applicable for Garib Rath AC 3 Tier.
- New AC 3 Tier (third AC) fare from Kolkata to Chennai: Rs.1465 (old Rs.1288) Rs.177 or 12% increase
- New AC 2 Tier (2nd AC) fare from Mumbai to Chennai: Rs.1780 (old Rs.1700) Rs.80 or
- Revised AC 1st Class fare from Bangalore to Delhi: Rs.4325 (old Rs. 4315) Rs.10 or 0.002% increase
Revised Fare Rates for Indian Railways’ Premium Trains
Rajdhani Express Fare Rates
- Distance Travelable on minimum fare rate: 300 km
- Minimum fares: Rajdhani AC 3 Tier: Rs.468; Rajdhani AC 2 Tier: Rs.664; Rajdhani AC First Class: Rs.1133
- Revised AC 3 Tier (Rajdhani) fare from Guwahati to Delhi: Rs.2135 (old Rs.1950) Rs.185 or 8.7% increase
- Revised AC 2 Tier (Rajdhani) fare from Kolkata (Howrah) to Delhi: Rs.2400 (old Rs. 2310) Rs.90 or 3.75% increase
- New AC First Class (Rajdhani) fare from Mumbai to Delhi: Rs.4025 (old Rs. 3870) Rs.155 or 4% increase
Shatabdi Express Fare Rates
- Distance Travelable on minimum fare rate: upto 50 km
- Minimum Fares: Executive Chair Car: Rs.361 AC Chair Car: Rs.158
- New AC Chair Car Shatabdi fare from Bangalore to Chennai: Rs.635 (old Rs. 602) 6% increase
- New AC Chair Car Shatabdi fare from Pune to Hyderabad: Rs.875 (old Rs. 809) 7.5% increase
- Revised Executive AC Chair Car Shatabdi Fare from New Delhi to Chandigarh: Rs.990 (old Rs. 940) 5% increase
Jan Shatabdi Express Fare Rates
- Distance Travelable on minimum fare rate: upto 50 km
- Minimum Fares: Executive Chair Car: Rs.36 AC Chair Car: Rs.160
- New Jan Shatabdi General Second Class fare from Mumbai to Goa: Rs.230 (old Rs.197) 14% increase
- New Jan Shatabdi General Second Class fare from Chennai to Vijayawada: Rs.165 (old Rs.142) 14% increase
- New Jan Shatabdi AC Chair Car fare from Delhi to Dehradun: Rs.420 (old Rs. 394) 6% increase
Garib Rath Express Fare Rates
- Distance Travelable on minimum fare rate: upto 100 km
- Minimum Fares: AC 3 Tier: Rs.140 AC Chair Car: Rs.110
- Revised Garib Rath AC 3 Tier fare from Secunderabad to Visakhapatnam: Rs.595 (old Rs. 538) 9.5% increase
- New Garib Rath AC Chair Car fare from Ernakulam to Kannur: Rs.290 (old Rs.255) 12% increase
Follow @IRfacts on Twitter for fun facts, interesting info and latest news regarding Indian Railways
Even after fare hike, the fares are still much in reach of common people, especially those who travel in the non-airconditioned classes. A vital step needed to provide sustainability of the lifeline of the nation.